Thursday, April 20, 2006

Living without a car

IOxygen grew up in a town where living without a car meant you were poor. My hometown had five bus routes and it was not bicycle friendly in the least. I don't know how people did it. In DC, it's almost the opposite. Living without a car means you can afford a place in a walkable neighborhood.

RPUS has a post about Alan During whose car broke down and, as a sort of experiment, he's trying to see how long he can go without a car. He's been keeping updates on a blog. He concludes that a mile is about as far as people are willing to walk (I'll believe that - I think Metro determined that few people that walk to their stations walk more that a quarter mile). He doesn't discuss bike range or the "bikeshed" to expand on the "walkshed" but I put it around 5 miles.

Of course, if you didn't have a car, how would you get your bike to Shenandoah?

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Purple Line Elevator

Though the Dulles line seems to be the big Metro story of late, for this week at least the Purple Line is getting the headlines. On May 9t...