Friday, June 30, 2006

Option 1 Chosen for Met Branch

Mbtfence From the Silver Springs Trails website:

The Montgomery County Council Transportation and Environment (T&E) Committee finished its review of the DPWT Phase I Metropolitan Branch Trail conceptual design. The Committee voted 2-0 (Floreen and Leventhal for, Perez absent) to direct DPWT to carry the MetBranch Trail Option 1 into Phase II facility design. The Option 1 alignment will follow closely along the CSX right-of-way from the Silver Spring Transit Center to the Takoma Campus of Montgomery College and will have a trail bridge over Georgia Avenue and a trail underpass under East-West Highway.

This is good news. This is the trail (in Maryland - more about DC next week) that cyclists wanted.  Phase II takes about 18 months. Funding could begin in the FY09 budget.

Also, when I was out on the MBT last week, I saw the construction of a fence going on along Fenton Street (see photo). I'm not sure what the purpose of it is. Is it a safety feature? Even if it is, I don't like it. Why block the view from the trail and of the trail. One goal of trail development is place-making. Fences do not make places. They divide people. This is unfortunate.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Arlington Master Transportation Plan

The Interim Draft of the Arlington Master Transportation Plan came out in June and is available for public comment. This plan was written...